Thursday, April 28, 2011

Praze a hardy heart

Have you ever seen your heart beat? Heard it perhaps, but have you seen it? I did today during my echocardiogram -- kind of like the ultrasound they do on pregnant women but the baby is a fist-full of muscle that's been working hard for 62 years plus. You can see all sorts of details, the little valves flapping open and close, the blood schussing back and forth like molten lava (thanks to a computer that colors the oxygenated blood red, the old blood blue, and I had a lot of yellows, oranges, and greens like an explosion of fire in my soul.) My heart did a lot of misbehaving, throwing in an extra beat about every third beat. At least the technician was excited when I managed to do four "normal" beats in a row. But even if she's being a little problematic, I couldn't helped but be totally amazed at this miraculous engine just chugging away. Thank you, little heart, I'll try to take better care of you.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, so glad that I came to your blog today. Just left a message on FB looking for an update ... and here it is!

    ReplyDelete