Sunday, April 3, 2011

Blooming memory


I really miss the flowering tree that used to be right behind my deck. In a couple of weeks it would have been covered with pink flowers as it was every year around April 15. What a fantastic tree it was. And what fun, last Easter, when my daughter-in-law Angy and her neices and nephew climbed up in the tree for a picture. And then last summer, the condo association decided it was time to cut it down. Its roots were tearing up the yard and making it dangerous to mow the lawn. We were out of town that week, but Kym was staying here and when she tried to take a photo for me, her 2 year old grandson Gabe locked her out. Then it was panic time trying to get a key from Angy so Kym could get Gabe. Oh, I miss that tree. So I made this picture my wallpaper and I look at the tree every day. Can I hear a Praze for technology and trees?

2 comments:

  1. I'm grateful you didn't have to witness the deforestation of your yard, Sue. It's not fair, in my opinion, that established trees of magnificence are destroyed for the convenience of men astride power tools. My inner journalist compelled me to document the destruction with my camera. As I clicked the picture, Gabe locked me out and no amount of exaggerated hand gesturing could coach him through the reverse locking process. It was a short, yet tearful time awaiting Angy on that white horse (maybe it was a bread truck) with the spare key. The drama of the lockout and my spite over the felling of the flowering tree faded in the coming days when I began to notice a wondrous new sight out your window. A statuesque blue heron perched himself like a weather vane on the pinnacle of the picnic pavilion on the island in your lake. I saw him there not one morning, but many mornings as I sipped my morning coffee. I looked forward to spotting him. He gently reminded me to start my day "looking up." The heron probably had been frequenting that perfect perch all along, but I'd never noticed him because the tree blocked that view from the condo. This little experience taught me a lot. We can lose something we prize, like the flowering tree, and still be made richer by whatever unexpected thing takes its place in our lives. Praze for our blue herons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great comments, Kym. And so true. Hooray for unexpected blessings.

    ReplyDelete