Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Hard to be Happy

Sometimes it is hard to think good thoughts. These past few days as we packed to leave Florida, and the news was on about the earthquake in Japan, I struggled to find anything to make me smile. It was even worse on the way home as we listened to George Bush's book Decision Points on CD. I found myself getting angry over things that had happened years ago. I had to conciously take control and look for good things. Is that a tree in bloom over there? Fantastic. The sun is shining. Marvelous. Something made me think of Habitat for Humanity and the last time I volunteered there, crouched in the basement in a small bit of light pulling stubborn nails from old oak trim. I was working with several other women I didn't know but when we would finally get a nail to come free we would shout Amen or Haleluja and laugh. It got to be a regular Amen chorus in that basement. The memory made me smile. Good thoughts. Think on these things.

No comments:

Post a Comment